Dance, Robotics, Yoga, and/or Music
East Side House Settlement is a community resource in the South Bronx. We believe education is the key that enables all people to create economic and civic opportunities for themselves, their families and the communities. We are seeking a dynamic, hard-working and creative leader who shares our passion for providing exceptional programming to children and families in the Mott Haven neighborhood of the South Bronx.
Duties and Responsibilities shall include but not limited to the following:
1. Ensure the safety and engagement of students in assigned activities
2. Develop and facilitate weekly activity lesson plans
3. Facilitate purposeful activities that foster the development of new skills in students, while reinforcing skills/information previously taught
4. Assist in all activities needed for the orderly operation of the program, inclusive of supervising students during snack/supper, facilitating dismissal, conducting field trips, hosting special events, etc.
5. Work with Group Leaders, engaging them in the lesson plan development process and modeling activity facilitation to help Group Leaders develop professionally and eventually to become Activity Specialists
6. Provide strong classroom and behavioral management skills, ensuring that all participants follow agency and program rules
7. Assist in organization of quarterly student presentation, performances, and events
8. Complete all projects and tasks as requested, while ensuring the safety and security of all participants and the smooth operation of programming.
9. Assist in all activities to ensure the orderly operation of the program, inclusive of supervising students during snack/supper, facilitating dismissal and completing daily administrative paperwork (e.g. keeping attendance, time sheets, etc.)
10. Attend and supervise students during special projects and field trips, including those which occur outside of regular program hours
11. Complete 15 hours of professional development each calendar year. Demonstrate key competencies including initiative, teamwork, cooperation, preparedness, professionalism, reliability and a willingness to continuously improve
12. Attend all meetings, training workshops, and special events, as required, inclusive of those outside of program hours
13. Complete all assigned projects and tasks on time
14. Adhere to all ESH policies, practices, and procedures
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Required Skills/ Experience
• High School Diploma with some college preferred.
• A minimum of two (2) years of experience working with youth
• Experience in creating interactive and educational/artistic activities, youth development, academic enrichment and arts
• Possess and ability to engage and lead children in small group activities in your area of specialty; strong communication skills, strong organizational skills, excellent judgment, ability to work in a team in a variety of environments.
• Department of Health fingerprint clearance
• Statewide Central Register (SCR) clearance
• Staff Exclusion List (SEL) clearance
• Physical examination and TB test
Required Online training
• Mandated Reporter, 2 hours.
• Health & Safety Training, 5 hours.
1. Communication Proficiency
2. Team Building
3. Problem Solving/ Analysis
4. Time Management
5. Ethical Conduct
Expected work Schedule
This is a seasonal part-time position, working up to 15 hours a week for the September 2018 – June 2019 school year. The Elementary Afterschool Program operates on school days from 2 pm – 6 pm. Flexible schedule a plus. Workdays/hours subject to change based on ESH’s needs. Professional development and staff meetings will also be required.
This role has no supervisory responsibilities.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing all day. The employee must frequently lift and/or move items over 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Minimal travel is expected for this position.
Send Resume and Cover Letter via email to:
To be considered for a position, email resume to Jobshrg2@eastsidehouse.org. Please be sure to reference Job Title in the subject line of your email. Please submit a cover letter and resume as an attachment in a Word document or PDF format only. Due to the volume of resumes received, no calls or faxes regarding submission will be returned. Your resume will only be routed correctly and considered if all instructions above are met.
Please visit our website: www.eastsidehouse.org
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
ESH encourages people with disabilities, minorities’ veterans and women to apply. Applicants and employee will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet Disability Employer.