Commensurate with experience
Head Start/Day Care
Director of Education and Deputy Director of Early Learn
East Side House is a community-based organization in the South Bronx. We work with schools, community centers and other partners to bring quality education and resources to residents of the South Bronx and surrounding communities. East Side House’s Early Childhood programs provide preschool and day care services in a safe, supportive, educational environment for children ages 2-5. Serving 250 children daily from four locations, the comprehensive program is designed to develop the cognitive, social, emotional and physical skills of children in a safe, supportive environment. Children and families receive a broad range of educational, nutritional, social and preventive health services. The Head Start/Day Care program incorporates the Board of Education’s Universal Pre-Kindergarten Program, providing preschool services to children four years of age, including children with special needs. The program also provides transitional services to public schools.
The role of the Assistant Teacher is assist the Teacher in providing an exceptional educational experience to students of the program. The Assistant Teacher will aid the teacher in all daily activities, projects and events. He/she will also provide coverage in the absence of the Teacher and is expected to fulfill all the duties of the Teacher.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
• Working within the framework of the sponsoring agency of the Day Care and carrying out its functions, policies and procedures
• Assist in the planning and execution of a program to provide day care for children which takes into account the educational, social, developmental and health needs of the group, as well, as the individual child
• Share responsibility for keeping equipment and material accessible and in good condition in order to encourage maximum constructive use by the children
• Share responsibility for removing or reporting any damaged or hazardous equipment to the Director or other designated person so that necessary action may be taken
• Participate with the teacher in planning and supervising an appropriate arrangement of classroom equipment and furniture deigned to promote optimal program functioning
• Operate in the overall planning to maximize use of shared space in relation to the total center program
• Assist in planning the use of community resources to enrich the educational content of the children’s program
• Participate with the teacher discussions aimed at developing a program of sound educational goals appropriate to the age and developmental level of children enabling them to make the most of future educational opportunities
• To promote his/her own personal growth and development through participation in regularly scheduled individual conferences, classroom group conferences and staff meetings, workshops, seminars etc., and submit all earned certificates to Educational Director for review.
• Share with other classroom personnel the performance of routine chores related to all areas of the program
• Participate in objective discussion of his / her own professional performance in weekly supervision
• Support community residents, parents and program participant’s and active involvement in agency community building efforts as well as complete tasks necessary to move these efforts forward such as serving on community building committees.
• Ensures the safety and well-being of children/participants by being diligent in engagement, attentive to their needs, cognizance of surroundings, and capable of administering immediate assistance as needed.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Requisite Education and Experience:
• The Assistant Teacher shall meet the requirements set by the Agency for Child Development and the sponsoring agency of the Day Care Center in which he/she is employed.
• A person with the desire and ability to work with young children
• A person willing to learn, and develop, an on-going bridge between school and community
• AA Degree/Early Childhood experience
• Physical examination to show that the individual is free from all communicable diseases.
• Clearance from Department of Investigation (DOI).
• Clearance from the Statewide Central Register (SCR).
This role has no supervisory responsibilities.
Business casual. This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines
Travel is expected for this position.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand for long periods of time, bend and lift without restrictions or assistance, lift up to 50 lbs. without assistance.
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8am to 4pm. Work days/hours subject to change based on ESH’s needs.
Send Resume and Cover Letter via email to:
To be considered for a position, email resume to Jobshrg1@eastsidehouse.org. Please be sure to reference Job Title in the subject line of your email. Please submit cover letter and resume as an attachment in a Word document or PDF format only. Due to the volume of resumes received, no calls or faxes regarding submission will be returned. Your resume will only be routed correctly and considered, if all instructions above are met.
Please visit our website: www.eastsidehouse.org
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
ESH encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.