$15/ per hour
Jobs Plus Program
Millbrook Community Center
East Side House Settlement is a community resource in the South Bronx. We believe education is the key that enables all people to create economic and civic opportunities for themselves, their families and the communities. We are seeking a dynamic, hard-working and creative leader who shares our passion for providing exceptional programming to children and families in the Mott Haven neighborhood of the South Bronx.
Under the immediate supervision of Community Engagement Coordinator, the Community Coach will perform each essential duty of this position in a satisfactorily manner. Key employee responsibilities are listed below:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Execute grassroots outreach strategy that will include regular check-ins at informal gathering places such as local pharmacies, bodegas, gas stations, car garages, dry cleaners, car washes, gas stations, barber shops, beauty salons, nail salons, libraries, Laundromats, houses of worship, fast food restaurants, and the community affairs offices at the 40th Police Precinct and PSA 7.
• Create awareness of program services and coordinate organizational referral streams as well as generate self-referrals.
• Do outreach in informal gathering places within NYCHA housing developments, such as sitting areas and playgrounds, in the outreach strategy.
• Coordinate outreach and referrals from the Resident Association Presidents at each of the four housing developments served, as well as with East Side House programs at four NYCHA-based early childhood centers, three NYCHA-based elementary afterschool programs, three NYCHA-based senior citizen centers, and seven school-based programs, which serve many residents of public housing from the Mott Haven neighborhood.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Education / Experience:
• High school diploma or GED, AA degree in human service-related field a plus.
• Excellent verbal communication skills. Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) preferred but not required. Must be a “people person.”
• Experience with grassroots information dissemination strategies. Previous outreach experience in urban communities helpful.
• Knowledge of, and familiarity with, institutions and people from the Mott Haven neighborhood highly preferred.
• Must be self-directed and organized.
• Basic computer skills necessary.
• Must live in the Mill Brook Housing Complex or surrounding neighborhood.
1. Collaboration Skills.
2. Customer/Client Focus.
4. Stress Management/Composure.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a part time position. Typical days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 1 p.m. Work days/hours subject to change based on ESH’s needs.
Minimal travel is expected for this position.
Send Resume and Cover Letter via email to:
To be considered for a position, email resume to Jobshrg1@eastsidehouse.org. Please be sure to reference Job Title in the subject line of your email. Please submit cover letter and resume as an attachment in a Word document or PDF format only. Due to the volume of resumes received, no calls or faxes regarding submission will be returned. Your resume will only be routed correctly and considered, if all instructions above are met.
Please visit our website: : www.eastsidehouse.org
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
ESH encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.