Commensurate w/ Experience
East Side House, founded in 1891, is a 501(c) (3) organization that has served the Mott Haven section of the South Bronx since 1963. The organization is dedicated to the community and focused on providing resources and opportunities. East Side House has identified that education is the foundation for economic improvement and through its youth education and technology programs it teaches skills to allow its students and program participants to become more self sufficient and independent.
• Report to a Lead Custodian who is responsible for the direction of housekeeping services in the facility.
• Clean and sanitize restrooms/bathrooms using established practices and procedure.
• Clean, dust, and wipe furniture; sweep, mop, or vacuum floors; empty/clean wastebaskets and trash containers; empty and clean ash trays and cigarette urns; replace light bulbs; refill restroom dispensers.
• Assist with the setup of facilities for meetings, classrooms, conferences, events, etc.
• Strip, clean, buff and apply floor sealer and floor finish to hard surface floors, vacuum and shampoo carpets.
• Use and maintain assigned power equipment and hand tools; buffers, auto scrubbers, extractors, high pressure washers, high speed buffers and vacuums, brooms, mops, and
Squeegees for the cleaning and general maintenance of floors, walls, carpets, furniture, etc.
• Wash walls and equipment; use ladders when required in work assignments.
• Lock and unlock assigned buildings: secure building when facilities are not in use checking for unlocked doors and windows, report any unauthorized occupants, turn off lights.
• Follow instructions regarding the use of chemicals and supplies. Use as directed.
• Perform cleaning and related activities such as removing snow or debris from sidewalks and stairs in areas within sixteen feet of buildings using hand-operated tools or small power equipment.
• Move furniture, equipment, supplies and tools on an incidental basis.
• Wash accessible interior and exterior windows. Clean blinds. Launder cleaning rags and dust mops.
• Have essential physical and mental capabilities in the following: Interpersonal skills, memory, attention to detail, follow directions, comprehension, calculating, reading, writing, speaking, evaluating, mathematics, organizing and innovation.
• Attend to emergencies when necessary.
• Attend safety meetings and other related meetings.
• Take classes as required in cleaning methods and techniques, new products, First Aid,
CPR, and working relationships.
• Handle recycling materials.
• Assist with inventory control and security.
• Safely operate all job related equipment.
• Support and enforce all policies, university and governmental such as One Call,
• OSHA/WISHA rules, university health and safety regulations and guidelines, etc.
• Perform related duties as required.
Requisite Education and Experience
• High School Diploma or High School Equivalence (HSE).
• Experience in maintenance preferred
• Department of Investigation fingerprints clearance
• Physical with TB screen
• New York State Central Registry (SCR) clearance
1. Environment: Work involves performing moderate to heavy work in all types of weather. Work is performed in an indoor and outdoor environment; travel from site to site; exposure to noise, dust, grease, smoke, fumes, gases, mechanical and electrical hazards, and all types of weather and temperature conditions.
2. Physical: Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to walk, stand, and sit for prolonged periods of time; to frequently stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, crawl, climb, reach, twist, grasp, and make repetitive hand movement in the performance of daily duties; to climb unusual heights on ladders; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull moderate to heavy amounts of weight; to operate assigned equipment and vehicles; and to verbally communicate to exchange information. May have to lift, pull, push heaving equipment, and other such items weighing up to approximately 50 lbs.
3. Vision: See in the normal visual range with or without correction.
4. Hearing: Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 4: p.m. and some Saturdays. Work days/hours subject to change based on ESH’s needs.
The role has no supervisory responsibilities.
Travel to other nearby sites is expected for this position.
Send Resume and Cover Letter via email to:
To be considered for a position, email resume to Jobshrd@eastsidehouse.org. Please be sure to reference Job Title in the subject line of your email. Please submit cover letter and resume as an attachment in a Word document or PDF format only. Due to the volume of resumes received, no calls or faxes regarding submission will be returned. Your resume will only be routed correctly and considered, if all instructions above are met.
Please visit our website: www.eastsidehouse.org.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
ESH encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.