$55,000 – $60,000
Department Director of Adult Education and Workforce Development
Youth and Adult Education Services (YAES)
Youth and Adult Education Services (YAES) is a program of East Side House Settlement (ESH), offering comprehensive Adult Basic Education (ABE) and High School Equivalency (HSE) preparation and testing to residents of the South Bronx. Students receive instruction in reading, writing and math skills as well as preparation for the HSE. Students also receive comprehensive social supports as well as Job Readiness, Family Literacy, and Life Improvement Skills.
The College Access & Retention program is also a key component of YAES. This program promotes and facilitates transition of all ESH High School/HSE students to College and provides extensive retention support to ensure their success. The Director is responsible for overseeing the inter-disciplinary staff team while they provide comprehensive educational and social supports to all YAES participants.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
Under the supervision of the Department Director of Education and Workforce Development the Director’s duties include but are not limited to the following:
• Manage and supervise the HSE, Employment, and College teams towards meeting established Federal guidelines and standards, funder requirements and contractual obligations
• Lead team of 10-12 staff towards attaining professional development and program goals
• Develop and control budget for program services
• Submit reports to multiple agency and funding sources
• Represent the agency by attending meetings and workshops
• Oversee the creation of innovative and contextualized student learning experiences
• Ensuring the implementation of youth development principles in all programming
• Perform additional program support functions as required
● Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice
Education and Skill Requirements
1. Master’s Degree in relevant field and experience in a not-for-profit community based setting
2. Minimum three years management experience
3. Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple contracts
4. Knowledge and strong commitment to youth development principles
5. Knowledge of adult literacy practices and GED/HSE transition issues
6. Strong presentation skills; ability to represent the organization in various venues
7. Demonstrated knowledge of community service/development
• Customer Service
• Public/Community Relations
This position may supervise assigned personnel, including front line staff and/or support staff.
Corporate casual. This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. This is generally a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Work days/hours subject to change based on ESH’s needs.
Minimal travel is expected for this position.
Send Resume and Cover Letter via email to:
To be considered for a position, email resume to Jobshrd@eastsidehouse.org. Please be sure to reference Job Title in the subject line of your email. Please submit cover letter and resume as an attachment in a Word document or PDF format only. Due to the volume of resumes received, no calls or faxes regarding submission will be returned. Your resume will only be routed correctly and considered, if all instructions above are met.
Please visit our website: www.eastsidehouse.org
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
ESH encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.