201 St Ann’s Avenue, Bronx, NY
$40,000 – 45,000
Business Development Manager
Jobs Plus is a proven, place-based employment program designed to increase the earnings and employment of working age residents in designated public housing developments or a cluster of developments. Jobs Plus – Mill Brook Houses, is operated by East Side House Settlement and based in the Mott Haven neighborhood of the South Bronx. It offers workforce development, financial empowerment services and community building programming to over 3000 residents. With a recent 3-year contract renewal, Jobs Plus is looking to expand on the services provided to residents since 2013. This expansion will include heightened focus on training and education as well as career advancement services.
The Employment Specialist will work under the supervision of the Employment Services Manager. The Employment Specialist will provide job placement and retention services onsite to Jobs Plus members. These services will assist members with attaining employment, retaining positions and advancing in their career. This role involves working closely with job seekers and working Jobs Plus members seeking career advancement opportunities.
Under the direct supervision of the Business Development Manager the Employment Specialist will:
- Attain specific weekly and monthly goals of job placements and career advancements. Five placements weekly (subject to change based on business need).
- Fosters strong working relationships via weekly field visits with businesses, community based organizations, and partner agencies to secure job openings and opportunities for members.
- Maintain ongoing contact with employers to learn of new employment needs as well as progress and challenges arising from existing
- Provide one-on one and group counseling and Job Readiness workshops to members.
- Maintain contact with and track progress of participants after internship or job placement.
- Track members’ progress, and collect necessary employment documentation.
- Work as part of an interdisciplinary team with Career Coaches, Financial Counselor, and Instructors to provide onsite wraparound services.
- Be willing to become licensed in area of certification as required by program, and lead trainings to certify participants.
- Participate in relevant departmental meetings, trainings, case conferences, workshops and events.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Requisite Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum for 3-5 years of experience in business development, sales, human resources, job development, recruitment or
- Experience working with community served by East Side House Settlement.
- Commitment to mission and goals of East Side House Settlement and Jobs-Plus.
- Established employer relationships and networks with potential for future partnership opportunities.
- Knowledge and experience in providing career counseling services to a wide range of participants.
- Ability to work cooperatively with peers, strong communication skills.
- Strong initiative and problem-solving skills.
- Engagement approach and counseling techniques that meet needs of diverse population- including knowledge of youth development principles and a strength based-approach to client services.
- Openness and willingness to work in innovative program, taking a new approach to job placement services.
This role has no supervisory responsibilities.
Business casual. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines
Travel throughout the NYC boroughs is expected for this position.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. This is generally a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and some Saturdays. A rotated schedule of evenings (11 – 7) may be required as well, based on ESH’s needs.
Send Resume and Cover Letter via email only:
To be considered for a position, email resume to Jobshrg1@eastsidehouse.org. Please be sure to reference Job Title in the subject line of your email. Please submit cover letter and resume as an attachment in a Word document or PDF format only. Due to the volume of resumes received, no calls or faxes regarding submission will be returned. Your resume will only be routed correctly and considered, if all instructions above are met.
Please visit our website: www.eastsidehouse.org
Absolutely No Phone Calls!
(Please indicate position title on subject line)
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
ESH encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.