Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Elementary Afterschool Programs
East Side House Settlement is a community resource in the South Bronx. We believe education is the key that enables all people to create economic and civic opportunities for themselves, their families and the communities. We are seeking a dynamic, hard-working and creative leader who shares our passion for providing exceptional programming to children and families in the Mott Haven neighborhood of the South Bronx.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following key activities:
• Plan, implement and document successful educational, recreation, youth leadership, and community service and arts activities with school-aged children.
• Adhere to policies and procedures in a pro-active manner, as well as to adhere to schoolwide procedures while always keeping the needs, safety and care of children your primary focus.
• Build a positive relationship with the after-school participants in our care, and foster positive connections between participants and mutual support and the desire to learn, grow and develop. Actively engage with children at all times with the goal of fostering the positive development of each child and the group.
• Communicate day-to-day programmatic difficulties, problems and/or concerns in a professional and appropriate manner.
• Conduct yourself as a professional and representative of the agency with school staff, parents, children and anyone else with whom you come into contact in your role. Maintain program rules and regulations as well as adhere to schoolwide procedures while always keeping the student’s need as the highest priority.
• Effectively manage assigned group. Maintain and enforce progressive discipline policy.
• Create a cohesive and effective staff team. Work effectively and cooperatively with parents, teachers and community partners to supervise and ensure quality services are provided to students
• Assist in enrollment, recording and submitting daily attendance records, and any other required documents to Director.
• Inspect on a daily basis all facilities, equipment, and supplies; be sure all are accounted for and put away at the end of each day; and provide Supervisors with confirmation.
• Actively participate in all aspects of professional development, including scheduled supervision, team meetings, pre-service training, and an additional 15 hours of training minimum during the school year.
• Demonstrates commitment to leadership development, community building, and community organizing as strategies for social change.
• Perform other duties as assigned as necessary for the success of the program.
• Adhere to all Department of Health and East Side House Standards.
• Supervise volunteers and junior staff
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Required Skills/ Experience
• High School Diploma with some college preferred.
• A minimum of two (2) years of experience working with youth
• Experience in creating interactive and educational/artistic activities, youth development, academic enrichment and arts
• Possess and ability to engage and lead children in small group activities in your area of specialty; strong communication skills, strong organizational skills, excellent judgment, ability to work in a team in a variety of environments.
• Department of Health fingerprint clearance
• Statewide Central Register (SCR) clearance
• Staff Exclusion List(SEL) clearance
• Physical examination and TB test
Required Online trainings
• Mandated Reporter, 2 hours.
• Health & Safety Training, 5 hours.
1. Communication Proficiency
2. Team Building
3. Problem Solving/ Analysis
4. Time Management
5. Ethical Conduct
Expected work Schedule
This is a seasonal part-time position, working up to 15 hours a week. The Elementary Afterschool Program operates on school days from 2pm – 6pm. Flexible schedule a plus. Workdays/hours subject to change based on ESH’s needs. Professional development and staff meetings will also be required.
This role has no supervisory responsibilities.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing all day. The employee must frequently lift and/or move items over 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Minimal travel is expected for this position.
Send Resume and Cover Letter via email to:
To be considered for a position, email resume to Jobshrg2@eastsidehouse.org. Please be sure to reference Group Leader in the subject line of your email. Please submit cover letter and resume as an attachment in a Word document or PDF format only. Due to the volume of resumes received, no calls or faxes regarding submission will be returned. Your resume will only be routed correctly and considered, if all instructions above are met.
Please visit our website: www.eastsidehouse.org
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
ESH encourages people with disabilities, minorities’ veterans and women to apply. Applicants and employee will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet Disability Employer.