East Side House Settlement/ Senior Citizen Centers
Mitchell Senior Center Bronx, NY 10454
East Side House’s Senior Citizens’ program meets the needs of older adults by providing a variety of social, protective and supportive services in a non-medical care setting. The program improves the quality of life for seniors in the community by offering opportunities for personal achievement, social engagement, and community participation.
East Side House’s Senior Citizens’ program includes nutrition education, a congregate meal program, counseling, educational activities, transportation assistance, and benefits assistance. Recreational activities that address the cultural diversity, health and safety of seniors are also incorporated into the program, such as bingo, dominoes, monthly trips, special events, arts and crafts, health screenings, walking club, computer club, Facebook club, and birthday parties.
Under the direct supervision of the head Cook, the Kitchen Aide/Custodian will:
• Set up steam table, serving counter and lift/place food trays onto a table (approx. 20lbs each).
• Serve all meals during meal time.
• Wash/clean all utensils and appliances (food trays) after meal service.
• Mop all floors (commercial mop w/ wooden stick 13 lbs.)
• Clean all food surface areas, Including frosted refrigerators.
• Maintain daily Food Catering Log, and food temperature.
• Maintain good sanitary habits.
• Store all disposables & can goods (46 oz. juice can).
• Document kitchen inventory.
• *Substitute for kitchen Aide at other satellite when needed
• Clean & dispose of garbage in garbage bins.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Requisite Education and Experience:
• High School Diploma or equivalent preferred
• NYC DOH Food Protection Certification required
1. Time management
2. Excellent Customer Service and communication skills
3. Organization Skills
4. Details Oriented
5. Team and relationship building
This role has no supervisory responsibilities.
The program serves participants 60+ years of age in a community center environment, serving participants 15,000 meals annually.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand for long periods of time, bend and lift without restrictions or assistance, lift up to 15 lbs. without assistance.
This is a part-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 3 p.m. Work days/hours subject to change based on ESH’s needs.
Send Resume and Cover Letter via email to:
To be considered for a position, email resume to Jobshrg1@eastsidehouse.org. Please be sure to reference Job Title in the subject line of your email. Please submit a cover letter and resume as an attachment in a Word document or PDF format only. Due to the volume of resumes received, no calls or faxes regarding submission will be returned. Your resume will only be routed correctly and considered if all instructions above are met.
Please visit our website: www.eastsidehouse.org.
Absolutely No Phone Calls!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
ESH encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.