Education Director/Director of Educational Services/Deputy Director of Early Learn
The East Side House Head Start/Day Care program is focused on school readiness for all of our participating children and families. East Side House ensures that children are nurtured in their cognitive, social/emotional, and physical development so that they are ready to learn and achieve in school. East Side House fosters a partnership with families so that they can support school learning and achievement as well as advocate for their children and themselves. East Side House teachers’ work collaboratively to create a safe, healthy and protective environment for all children.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following key activities:
• Supervise the overall function of the classroom:
• Take into account the individual differences and needs of the children’s culture, language, and special abilities
• Enhance children’s understanding of themselves as individuals and in relation to others by planning with the assistant teacher a flexible program which provides for individual, small group, and large group activities.
• Direct a daily education program for the class by providing an atmosphere in which children will develop a love for learning that develops the child’s social/emotional, physical, cognitive and adaptive skills
• Observing, recording and assessing children’s developmental growth throughout the school year
• Encourage children to solve problems, initiate activities, experiment, question and gain mastery through learning
• Supervising personnel assigned to assist with daily group activities
• Hold regular meetings with class team to discuss plans and evaluate the progress of children
• Preparing educational materials required to implement the daily activity plan
• Maintaining an orderly physical environment conducive to optimal growth and development of children
• Attending and contributing to staff and parent meetings
• Sharing information appropriately with other center staff members
• Research curriculum for different methods and new activities for daily activities
• Schedule home visits and parent-teacher conferences for the purpose of receiving parent input into program activities, and to familiarize parents with the curriculum so they can carry out activities in their homes and reinforce the child’s learning
• Attend scheduled staff meetings, In-Service Trainings, Educational Meetings and other meetings requested by the Educational Director or ACS as it relates to education
• Developing positive relationships with parents
a. Following the approved plan by which information concerning the children and the program can be shared with parents
b. Attending and participating in group parent meetings as required
c. Respecting the confidential nature of all information about parents and children
• Coordinate the involvement of parents in educational activities of the program by encouraging parent participation in the classroom
• Support community residents, parents and program participant’s active involvement in agency community building efforts as well as complete tasks necessary to move these efforts forward including serving on community building committees as assigned by supervisor.
• Use resources in the community to enhance the program
• Ensures the safety and well-being of children/participants by being diligent in engagement, attentive to their needs, cognizance of surroundings, and capable of administering immediate assistance as needed”
• Responsible for curriculum planning with classroom teams
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice
Requisite Education and Experience
• MS Degree in Early Childhood Education
• N.Y. State Teaching Initial/Permanent Certificate in the following: B-2, N-6, 1-6
• Ability to relate sensitively to pre-school children
1. Teamwork Orientation
2. Communication Proficiency
3. Customer/Client Focus
4. Time Management
This role has no supervisory responsibilities.
Business casual. This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines
Travel is expected for this position.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8 am to 4 pm. Work days/hours subject to change based on ESH’s needs.
Send Resume and Cover Letter, via Email or Fax to:
Joanne Beauvais, Director of Educational Services
East Side House Settlement
200 Alexander Avenue, Bronx, NY 10454
Must indicate position title on the subject line “Master Lead Teacher”
Visit our Website: www.eastsidehouse.org
Absolutely No Phone Calls!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
ESH encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.