Social Services/Community School Mott Hall and Urban Institute of Mathematics (UIM)
Commensurate with experience
Community School Director/ Social Service Supervisor
East Side House Settlement is a community resource in the South Bronx. We believe education is the key that enables all people to create an economic and civic opportunities for themselves, their families and the communities. We are seeking a dynamic, hard-working and creative leader who shares our passion for providing exceptional programming to children and families. Mental Health Coordinator will be providing services to over 600 students between two middle school programs in the Throngs Neck area.
The Mental Health Coordinator will provide social emotional services and referrals to other students within the school as needed. The Mental Health Coordinator will also work together with the Community School team members, to develop and facilitate family focused workshops/events to help families enhance their communication with the students. The Mental Health Coordinator is responsible for implementing the counseling aspect of the program’s Community School grant. With the guidance and support of the DOE team, Community School Director, the Mental Health Coordinator will oversee the development of targeted students and ensure their social emotional needs are met.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Build relationships with participating students through consistent individual/group counseling sessions
- Identify, establish and maintain linkages with community health care providers, to build capacity around social service assistance for students and families.
- Act as a liaison between the school and outside establishments and services, in order to bring additional mental health resources into the school.
- Plan and conduct family or parent meetings
- Develop and facilitate student achievement action plans
- Provide referrals for students and student’s family. Follow up on referrals to determine outcomes and help resolve barriers.
- Attend weekly supervision sessions with CS Director and Social Service supervisor for clinical supervision
- Create and facilitate in-house workshops to CBO and DOE staff around social emotional awareness and best practices.
- Act as a liaison between DOE, and mental health partners to obtain a cohesiveness of social/emotional and mental health services
- Creatively develop innovative solutions to myriad challenges as they arise
- Communicate progress and obstacles with relevant committees as well as with outreach worker, program director and school liaison
- Maintain an active list of referral sources (psychotherapy, intense counseling, homelessness, etc.)
- Maintain appropriate documentation for Community school and Social Service department
- Other duties as assigned by program director; responsibilities could involve evenings/weekends on occasions.
Requisite Education and Experience:
- MSW degree must be obtained within six months of hire
- 2+ years field experience
- Experience working with urban youth, preferably in a school setting
- Demonstrated record of positively influencing youth
- Proven history of relentlessness and overcoming challenges
- Excellent communication skills
- Collaboration skills
- Results driven
- Teamwork Oriented
- Leadership skills
- Bi-lingual in the English and Spanish language (communicate, read, and translate)
This role has no supervisory responsibilities.
Business casual. This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines
Travel is expected for this position.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand for long periods of time, bend and lift without restrictions or assistance, lift up to 50 lbs. without assistance.
This is a full time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8am to 4pm. 35 hours per week. Work days/hours subject to change based on ESH’s needs.
Send Resume and Cover Letter via email only:
East Side House Settlement
337 Alexander Avenue
Bronx, NY 10454
(Please indicate position title on subject line)
Visit our website: www.eastsidehouse.org
Absolutely No Phone Calls!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
ESH encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.