$51,000 – $55,000
Urban Institute of Mathematics
650 Hollywood Avenue Bronx NY 10465
Department Head of Middle Schools
East Side House Settlement is a community resource in the South Bronx. We believe education is the key that enables all people to create an economic and civic opportunities for themselves, their families and the communities. We are seeking a dynamic, hard-working and creative leader who shares our passion for providing exceptional programming to children and families in the South Bronx and Inwood section of Manhattan.
Under the supervision of the Department Head of Middle Schools, the Program Director, with latitude for independent judgment, will be responsible for implementing and managing the daily activities of our SONYC programs, currently serving over 100 middle schoolers. The Program Director’s primary responsibility will be to work with staff, middle school colleagues, including principles, children, parents, and other ESH Program Directors, as well as other youth serving agencies to collaborate and advocate for SONYC participants, and ensure the smooth functioning of all aspects of the program.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following key activities:
- Based at school site, will facilitate SONYC’s integration within the school administration, structure and culture, and allow for efficiencies in working with the Educational Specialist; Serve as a member of School Leadership Team
- Work in tandem with Education Specialist to review and update curriculum, educational objectives, and program design as necessary
- Develop, administer and monitor program budget
- Consistently strategize, design and implement outreach efforts to keep program at full enrollment
- Ensure effective administrative systems are in place to support SONYC classrooms, and other programming areas are clean and well-maintained
- Oversee development of and adherence to agency emergency instructions and plans
- Oversee the purchasing and maintenance of inventory supplies
- Screen, interview and orient families to SONYC
- Conduct parent and parent/child conferences as necessary
- Recruit, hire, train, evaluate, and supervise all SONYC staff
- Annual Evaluation of Staff per ESH evaluation policy procedures and timeframe
- Oversee coordination of programs schedules, calendar, and vacation coverage
- Review annually and update handbooks, applications, contracts and other relevant paperwork
- Oversee development and implementation of daily programming
- Coordinate regular communication with SONYC families including newsletters, flyers, events, parent teacher’s night, phone outreach, etc.
- Develop and support SONYC staff in the coordination of special events
- Foster parental and community support to provide feedback on the ESH/SONYC’s mission and program goals and serve as ambassadors
- Oversee compliance with ESH, DYCD, DOE, and DOH standards
- Facilitate effective coordination between the program and other ESH departments
- Ability to maintain or supervise the maintenance of financial and other records
- Complete ESH reports and paperwork requirements in a timely manner, including payroll materials, departmental goals and work plans, budget preparation, tracking materials, employment paperwork and others as needed
- Commit to the mission and goals of ESH. Participate in and promote ESH events and programs outside of own department
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice
Education, Experience and Skills Required:
- B.A/ B.S degree in Child development, Elementary Education, Physical Education, Recreation and/ or New York State Children’s Program Administrator Credential or New York State School-Age Child Care Credential.
- Two (2 ) years direct experience working with youth, including at least one (1) year in a supervisory capacity
- Strong administrative skills, including strong computer and technology proficiency
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Previous experience in curriculum and program development
- Knowledge of youth development theories and practices
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with a broad spectrum of staff, volunteers, and program participants
- Current First Aid and CPR certification, as well as required Health & Safety training preferred
- Knowledge of classroom management.
- Bilingual a must
- Project Management
- Problem Solving/ Analysis
- Communication Proficiency
- Customer Service
- Public/Community Relations
- Teamwork Orientation
Position Type and Expected Hours of work:
This is a full-time position. Work days/hours subject to change based on ESH’s needs.
- Clearance by the Department of Health (DOH)
- Clearance by the Department of Education (DOE)
- Clearance from the New York State Child Abuse Registry
- Physical with TB screen
- Mandated Reporter, 2 hours – http://www.nysmandatedreporter.org/TrainingCourses.aspx
- Health & Safety Training, 5 hours – https://www.ecetp.pdp.albany.edu
Corporate casual. This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
This position may supervise assigned personnel, including front line staff and/or support staff.
Expected Work Schedule:
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday and some Saturdays. Maintain flexible hours and work days.
Travel is primarily locally during the business day.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. This is generally a sedentary role; however, some filing and site visits are required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
Send Resume and Cover Letter via email to
To be considered for a position, email resume to Jobshrg@eastsidehouse.org. Please be sure to reference Job Title in the subject line of your email. Please submit cover letter and resume as an attachment in a Word document or PDF format only. Due to the volume of resumes received, no calls or faxes regarding submission will be returned. Your resume will only be routed correctly and considered, if all instructions above are met.
Please visit our website: www.eastsidehouse.org
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Absolutely No Phone Calls!
ESH encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer