Commensurate with qualifications and experience
School Based Program- High School for Excellence and Innovation
Manhattan- 650 Academy St, New York, NY 10034
The High School for Excellence and Innovation, an academically rigorous, full-time New York City Department of Education School designed to re-engage high school students. East Side House Settlement is directly responsible for the administration of its Learning-to-Work Program, which enhances the school’s academic component by offering additional academic support, career and education exploration, work preparation, skills development, and internships.
Under the supervision of the Program Director, with latitude for independent judgment, will be responsible for performing each essential duty satisfactorily at each school, providing oversight in this partnership with the support of staff. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and ability required, but not limited to:
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited:
- Conduct intake interviews with students and family members.
- Meet with students in a group setting and individually to assist them in their academic, career and personal goals.
- Conduct daily attendance outreach and home visits as necessary.
- Facilitate group advisory sessions two times per week.
- Consult with teachers and provide feedback to students on academic performance using a bi-weekly assessment.
- Maintain student charts and records to ensure individual and programmatic milestones are being met.
- Refer students to academic and support services as needed.
- Attend administrative meetings, program trainings and staff development.
- Participate in civic and community building efforts and activities as assigned via East Side House Community Development.
- Arrange field trips, special events and extracurricular activities.
- Maintain flexible hours and work days, some overnight trips required.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice
Department of Education (DOE) fingerprint clearance required
Education, Knowledge & Skill Requirements:
- B.A. /B.S.W with at least two years of experience with youth-related work.
- Excellent verbal, analytical, writing, communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to work in a team oriented environment and multi-task.
- Strong interpersonal skills and time management skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of community service/ development.
- Knowledge and experience in Microsoft Word and other applications.
- Bilingual preferred.
- Teamwork Orientation
- Communication Proficiency
- Customer/Client Focus
- Time Management/Ability to meet deadlines/ Arrive to work on time
- Problem Solving/ Analysis
- Some Autonomy and follow through all tasks
Business casual. This job operates in a school office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The role has no supervisory responsibilities.
Position Type and Expected Work Schedule
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, Monday – Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and some Saturdays. Maintain flexible hours and work days.
Travel is primarily locally during the business day.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. This is generally a sedentary role; however, some filing and site visits are required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
Send Resume and Cover Letter via email to
To be considered for a position, email resume to Jobshrg@eastsidehouse.org. Please be sure to reference Job Title in the subject line of your email. Please submit a cover letter and resume as an attachment in a Word document or PDF format only. Due to the volume of resumes received, no calls or faxes regarding submission will be returned. Your resume will only be routed correctly and considered if all instructions above are met.
Please visit our website: www.eastsidehouse.org
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Absolutely No Phone Calls!
ESH encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.