21.98 Per hour
Mott Haven community High School
455 Southern Blvd Bronx, NY 10455
Mott Haven Community High School is a transfer school located in the Samuel Gompers Educational Complex in the Mott Haven section of the South Bronx. Transfer schools are small, academically rigorous, full-time New York City Department of Education programs designed to re-engage high school students who are over-age and under-credited or have dropped out of high school. East Side House, Inc. is directly responsible for the administration of the Mott Haven Community High School’s Learning-to-Work Program, which enhances the academic component by offering additional academic support, career and education exploration, work preparation, skills development, and internships.
Under the supervision of the School Director with latitude for independent judgment, the Advisor will be responsible to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and ability required, but are not limited to:
• Conduct intake interviews with students and family members.
• Meet with students in a group setting and individually to assist them in their academic, career and personal goals.
• Conduct daily attendance outreach and home visits as necessary.
• Facilitate group advisory sessions two times per week, providing an opportunity for students to build on their social -emotional competencies, in a group-setting.
• Consult with teachers and provide feedback to students on academic performance outcomes using a biweekly assessment.
• Maintain student charts and records to ensure individual and programmatic milestones are being met.
• Refer students to academic and support services as needed.
• Attend administrative meetings, program trainings and staff development to enhance knowledge base
• Participate in civic and community building efforts and activities as assigned via East Side House Community Development.
• Arrange field trips, special events and extracurricular activities to keep students physically and mentally engaged.
• Collaborate with school staff and agents to ensure safety during transition periods, lunch room and dismissal.
• Participate in special yearly student-based projects.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
• Department of Education (DOE) fingerprint clearance required
• B.A/ B.S.W. with at least two years’ experience with youth-related work.
• Excellent verbal, analytical, writing, communication, organizational skills.
• Ability to work in a team oriented environment and multi-task.
• Demonstrated knowledge of community service/ development.
• Strong interpersonal skills and time management skills.
• Knowledge and experience in WordPerfect/ Microsoft Word and other applications
• Bilingual English/Spanish a plus.
• Teamwork Orientation
• Communication Proficiency
• Customer/Client Focus
• Time Management/Ability to meet deadlines/ Arrive to work on time
• Problem Solving/ Analysis
• Some Autonomy and follow through all tasks
This role has no supervisory responsibilities
Business casual. This job operates in a professional school environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Travel is expected for this position.
Position Type/Expected Work Schedule:
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00am – 4:00pm. Maintain flexible hours and work days, some evening and weekends required. Workdays/hours subject to change based on ESH’s needs.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. This is generally a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
Send Resume and Cover Letter via email to:
To be considered for a position, email resume to Jobshrg@eastsidehouse.org. Please be sure to reference Job Title in the subject line of your email. Please submit a cover letter and resume as an attachment in a Word document or PDF format only. Due to the volume of resumes received, no calls or faxes regarding submission will be returned. Your resume will only be routed correctly and considered if all instructions above are met.
Please visit our website: www.eastsidehouse.org
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
ESH encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.