$13.00/ per hour
Senior Citizens Centers
East Side House’s Senior Citizens’ program meets the needs of older adults by providing a variety of social, protective and supportive services in a non-medical care setting. The program improves the quality of life for seniors in the community by offering opportunities for personal achievement, social engagement, and community participation.
East Side House’s Senior Citizens’ program includes nutrition education, a congregate meal program, counseling, educational activities, transportation assistance and benefits assistance. Recreational activities that address the cultural diversity, health and safety of seniors are also incorporated into the program, such as bingo, dominoes, monthly trips, special events, arts and crafts, health screenings, walking club, computer club, Facebook club and birthday parties.
Under the supervision of the Director, the Cook is responsible for the preparation and cooking of approximately 200 meals daily and an additional 100 weekend meals funded by the NYC Department of Aging. The Substitute Cooks main duty will be to oversee the operation of the kitchen in the event of the Cook or Assistant Cooks absence.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Preparation of onsite congregate meals, as well as two satellite congregate meal programs.
• Prepare monthly/quarterly menu in accordance with Department for the Aging (DFTA) guidelines.
• Maintain raw food/disposable supplies monthly inventory.
• Identify and create recipes which include the required 1/3 RDA per serving for all foods prepared and served.
• Review and revise job descriptions for all kitchen staff, including all responsibilities for “6th Take Home” weekend meals. Supervise “In-House” Kitchen staff and WEP workers assigned to kitchen duties.
• Conduct monthly “In-House” food safety training to kitchen staff.
• Maintain congregate meal program in compliance with NYC Dept. of Health/Safety rules and regulations.
• Represent agency and community in an appropriate professional and respectful manner.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
1. Excellent Customer Service
2. Problem Solving/Analysis.
3. Project Management.
4. Communication Proficiency.
5. Ethical Conduct.
6. Time Management
7. Team/Relationship Building
Requisite Education and Experience
• High School/HSE Diploma
• NYC Food Handlers Certificate
• Minimum of 3 years in food service
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task simultaneously
• Experience working with the elderly population/understanding nutritional value of “Healthy Aging”.
• English/Spanish bi-lingual preferred
This role supervises the Assistant Cook, Kitchen Aides, and other staff as assigned.
This job operates in a kitchen environment, housed with equipment such as an oven, stove, dishwasher, slicer, coffee machine, steamer, mixer and chef’s knives. The employee is frequently exposed to heat, steam, fire, and noise.
Travel between nearby sites is expected for this position.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The employee is occasionally required to sit, stand, reach, lift, bend, kneel, stoop, climb, push and pull items weighing 50 pounds or less. The position requires manual dexterity; auditory and visual skills; and the ability to follow written and oral instructions and procedures
This is an on call postilion. Potential days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Work days/hours subject to change based on ESH’s needs.
Send Resume and Cover Letter via email to
To be considered for a position, email resume to Jobshrg2@eastsidehouse.org . Please be sure to reference Substitute Cook – Seniors in the subject line of your email. Please submit a cover letter and resume as an attachment in a Word document or PDF format only. Due to the volume of resumes received, no calls or faxes regarding submission will be returned. Your resume will only be routed correctly and considered if all instructions above are met.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
ESH encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.