The COVID-19 pandemic has disproportionately affected the most vulnerable communities in New York City. As East Side House already serves many of these communities, we had a firsthand view on the impact and quickly got into gear to meet the need.
In response to quarantine and its economic impact, we have done everything we can to support our community through this time.
- We have created a new initiative, Harvest to Haven, which has helped distribute 100,000 pounds of food to families in need, reaching over 35,000 individuals to date.
- We have distributed over 300 tablets and hot spots to students in New York City to support the Department of Education’s transition to remote learning.
- Our Early Childhood Education teachers are facilitating virtual lessons to parents and children.
- Our staff are conducting wellness check-ins to our students, families, and seniors to ensure they are safe and healthy.
- Our High School teams are organizing virtual graduations to celebrate the persistence and achievements of our graduating seniors.
- We distributed 28 scholarships for academic and character achievements to support their transition to college
- We have conducted over 15,000 wellness check-ins to combat social isolation, assess for need, and connect families with resources.
See these services in action in this video.
Support our efforts and our community by considering a contribution to our COVID-19 Community Response Fund.